Congratulations on making the decision to marry. There are two parts in the process that need to take place.
The legal bit is quite easy and straight forward. You must have a marriage licence to get married. You can apply three months prior to the wedding date if you normally live in NZ, or if you are flying into the country and will arrive more than three working days before you get married. A NZ marriage licence will cost you $150.00 and can be organised here.
You need to be married by a registered marriage celebrant and that’s where I assist in the lead up to the marriage.
The following information helps us get you married:
- I offer a free no obligation meeting with you both to discuss the date, location and type of wedding or theme if there is one. I will also discuss my role, provide a booking form.
- Once you’ve confirmed your booking, I’ll send you a questionnaire to complete so that I can start the ceremony writing. This questionnaire allows you to tell me your unique story and further aspirations.
- After you have completed this questionnaire and are happy with the initial outline, I will encourage you and help you to write your own vows (I will give you some thought starters). I’ll then create the first draft which I will then email to you minus the vows (you need a surprise on the day).
- We’ll go through the ceremony to ensure it’s what you want.
- Prior to your wedding day, we can have an onsite rehearsal so there are no surprises. We’ll practise the choreography of the ceremony and I will lead you through the signing of the certificate (please make sure you bring this to rehearsal or have emailed it to me sooner).
- On your wedding day, I’ll be at the wedding venue 30 minutes before the ceremony begins to meet and greet and liaise with the other parties involved in the ceremony.
- After the ceremony I’ll leave you with your copy of particulars and a copy of your personalised ceremony. I will also email or post the signed Copy of Particulars to Births, Death and Marriages no later than 10 days after the wedding.
- Options of readings, rituals, ring ceremonies, candle ceremonies are all welcomed. It is your day.